Newest observations

Skywarden,
Ursa Astronomical Association
Kopernikuksentie 1
00130 Helsinki
taivaanvahti(at)ursa.fi

Ursa Astronomical Association

1 observations and 1 comments in queue.

Only observations that have a description and at least one image attached.

Rare halos

21.8.2021 at 12.08 - 12.16 - Joensuu (IV)
Marko Riikonen

A rare "late season" ellipse. Yesterday, while cycling from the cottage to Joensuu, I took a break at the corner of the barn in Kissamäki and looked at the sky. There was a cloudy spot at the sun that looked like it might also contain an ellipse. However, I wasn’t at all sure, as the fibers are confusing, but I started taking pictures on the phone just like everything. After a few minutes when the display intensified to a final climax after a short pause, I was finally sure it was an ellipse. The pictures here are from that better end. I also made a video where I focused all 158 images on a st...

Images: 7 pcs • Comments: 14 pcs

Rare halos

1.5.2021 at 09.01 - Turku, Ruissalo (IV)
Paula Mattila

As if ... an elliptical halo, spherical middle clouds turned into fibers and I looked to see if anything would form in them, the little pillar looked like a ring, disappeared and reappeared when I invented a small enough sunscreen for which a fork was found in the Midsummer morning picnic bag.

Images: 3 pcs • Comments: 12 pcs

Rare halos

24.2.2018 at 19.15 - Orimattila (IV)
Pia Simonen

Note to self: Do not go to check subjects without a camera. The first condition of a good ellipse caused a malignant panic :-)

Images: 2 pcs • Comments: 11 pcs

Rare halos

5.3.2018 at 12.31 - 13.21 - Kuusamo (IV)
Jani Päiväniemi, Ursa (Pohjois-Suomi)

I was going to Kuusamo when I noticed an ellipse around the sun near Ruka. I took pictures along the way at the bus stops and the last picture in the hospital yard. The ellipse was continuously visible for one hour. Annoyed while driving when sometimes the ellipse was just perfect but there was nothing to stop! Many others are sure to feel that feeling too :)

Images: 5 pcs • Comments: 8 pcs

Rare halos

12.2.2021 at 10.50 - Mäntyharju (IV)
Markku Siljama, Ursa (Etelä-Suomi)

Little pretty vertical ellipse around the sun. Visually true clear. Visited at least a dozen minutes. -14 degrees below zero, calm and ice crystals slowly falling from the sky.

Images: 4 pcs • Comments: 8 pcs

Rare halos

3.3.2021 at 10.30 - Orimattila (IV)
Pia Simonen

The cross-country skier had time to blink into the sky as the skis slid forward as if by themselves. Without sunglasses and relying solely on the phone’s camera, I tried to capture a fast ellipse that looked a little better a couple of times. There would also have been some really cool color clouds on offer, but I didn’t even try to capture them over the phone.

Images: 3 pcs • Comments: 8 pcs

Rare halos

24.2.2018 at 20.19 - Hyvinkää (IV)
Kari Rytilahti

Well yeah ! After all, it had to be checked from the camera card. After all, something had stuck there if this can now be called an ellipse. A slightly different picture from what the other observations that have come here are. Well, a little searching for these shots and a scratchy shot in a harsh hurry. After all, the weather was good with little frost, some ice in the air. About 10 min earlier I saw a clear ellipse shape that I didn’t have time to describe.

Comments: 7 pcs

Rare halos

20.1.2019 at 21.02 - 21.15 - Lahti (IV)
Tuomo Leppänen

With a boy photographing the Moon and the starry sky. The clouds came and went. Our attention was drawn to an elliptical small halo ring formed around the Moon, which I initially suspected was a 9-degree ring. However, this is probably an elliptical halo.

Images: 3 pcs • Comments: 7 pcs

Rare halos

24.2.2018 at 20.45 - Riihimäki (IV)
Vesa Toropainen

Coincidentally, I was leaving with the dogs for an evening run "late" and in the yard, at a glance at the moon, a big surprise came. Hearing a small tire, I wondered for a moment if it was 9 degrees, I walked to the car, and grabbed the wit from the front seat, the big ones on the pin and zoomed against the roof of the car. CURRENT ..., it's not quite round, would it be an ellipse anyway ... well, that's it !. The batteries frozen by the frost were enough for eight shots, and the halo also disappeared within minutes of being found. There was luck in the bonga of the first ellipse ... T...

Images: 4 pcs • Comments: 6 pcs

Rare halos

25.2.2018 at 12.11 - 12.17 - Orimattila (IV)
Pia Simonen

Wild! Now luck kicks on ellipses. Today, in turn, the sun has shone and then it has snowed again. This rapid ellipse preceded a thick snow floating with its glands. The fourth image shows how the ellipse turned into a regular circle.

Images: 4 pcs • Comments: 6 pcs

Rare halos

24.2.2018 at 12.50 - 13.10 - Laukaa (IV)
Janne Hakala

We went with the children to go down the hill to Äijälä school and an elliptical perimeter was visible around the sun. The first elliptical halo I've seen. Visible to the eye with the sunglasses clearly. Hurry came to pick up the camera from home and snap pictures, a few first pictures came. The previous picture on the cell phone screen showed a clear ring, but the computer no longer. Now switched to the top pair of camera shots that were briskly processed that looked the same to the eye. Added a little text and a couple of camera pictures.

Images: 3 pcs • Comments: 5 pcs

Rare halos

26.3.2018 at 00.22 - Mäntyharju (IV)
Markku Siljama, Ursa (Etelä-Suomi)

The ellipse lasted for a few minutes. I quickly took a few pictures with my hand, but of course they shook. Too bad there was a clear circle.

Images: 4 pcs • Comments: 5 pcs

Rare halos

11.2.2021 at 11.59 - Ikaalinen, keskusta (IV)
Heidi Rikala, Ursa (Helsinki)

Well huh! Now is an exciting moment at hand ... is this observation an elliptical halo in the sun, or is it a halo at all? Ice crystals from the clear sky were raining in the air, and I noticed that when I came out of the store. There was a suitably street light pole in place, so I got even a little covered sun behind it. The last picture shows the same phenomenon, but as described in Hämeenkyrö. It shows pretty well the ice crystal. #Bongaa 100

Images: 4 pcs • Comments: 5 pcs

Rare halos

22.2.2018 at 19.35 - 19.50 - Mäntyharju (IV)
Jukka Kytömäki

Ellipse halo to hear, as well as artificial light pillars at the same time. The hurry was imaging, as the ellipse halo evaporated quickly. The cloud of cloud continues to move, making the eyes watchful.

Images: 3 pcs • Comments: 4 pcs

Rare halos

23.2.2018 at 13.30 - 14.45 - Lieto (IV)
Matti Helin, Ursa (Länsi-Suomi)

After noon, an elliptical glow began to form around the sun. This continued for about an hour. I photographed every now and then and the elliptical halo of this came to mind strongly, though not a pure style one.

Images: 7 pcs • Comments: 4 pcs

Rare halos

2.4.2021 at 10.35 - 13.42 - Kuusamo, Rukatunturi (IV)
Jani Päiväniemi, Ursa (Pohjois-Suomi)

Haloh April started first in the morning with a 22 'ring and later in the afternoon I saw an elliptical halo for more than a quarter of a time which I tried to record with an iphone and finally with a paperback that was in summer time but I corrected the observation time.

Images: 5 pcs • Comments: 3 pcs

One halo form

23.2.2018 at 15.25 - 16.30 - Laitila (I)
Pirjo Koski, Tampereen Ursa

During the day, Turku had become an elliptical halo. I went for a peek in the yard during the day, but nothing was visible. After the sip, I decided to take the camera and leave for a little yard. As I photographed the color clouds, I noticed that the sun seemed to stretch. I put the noise forward. Pretty weld awkward to save this guy! The whole time the situation lived and changed. I hurled crazy along the halo across the halo and looked for something suitable in front of the sun. Exciting halo and the first of its kind for me — ever. At the same time, I noticed a red crystal cloud hovering i...

Images: 5 pcs • Comments: 2 pcs

Rare halos

25.2.2018 at 20.35 - 21.30 - Kuusamo, Käylä (IV)
Jani Päiväniemi, Ursa (Pohjois-Suomi)

I photographed the perimeter of the moon in the evening and was alert if an ellipse belonging to it were available. The sky was clear at times, only a thin gauze was in the air. Almost all the time, something was leaking ice. Then it started to happen. The visibly small oval was born around the moon for a moment and disappeared. This continued for a little while. Then a 22 'halo ring appeared which became slightly oval after some time. The horizon ring was also visible for a while but for a very short time. Heavy wind and -8 frost.

Images: 6 pcs • Comments: 2 pcs

Rare halos

20.1.2019 at 19.00 - Jämsä (IV)
Mirko Lahtinen, Ursa (Länsi-Suomi)

as I walked outside, there were clouds around the moon but suddenly they began to fade and an ellipse appeared for just under a minute. Pictured below the moon is lens reflection.

Comments: 2 pcs

Rare halos

20.1.2019 at 19.20 - Espoo (IV)
Panu Lahtinen, Pollux, Aalto-yliopisto

Short-lived elliptical halo in full moon. Only another ellipse that hit me.

Comments: 2 pcs

Search result contains observations from time period 22.2.2018 klo 00.00 - 07.12.2022 klo 16.40.